Saturday, March 29, 2008

Seven little words. Use them. They work.



Somewhere in the last few months I read this article about this lady who uses the phrase "Is that the best you can do?" when trying to negotiate a lower price for services. I think she was trying to negotiate for tires if I remember correctly. I thought she was brilliant to use this strategy and started to adopt it to my approach. I shared this with Husband. Cut to two weeks ago when Husband needed to get new tires for his vehicle. He has done all the research and found the set of tires he wants for the price he wants. He goes to the counter and begins to pay for the tires:


The clerk says "Okay it will be XX dollars sir."

My husband says "Is that the best you can do?"
Silence.

The clerk looks at him, cocks his head, and says "Excuse me?"

My husband says again "Is that the best you can do?"

"Um, well, uh, we can maybe throw in a free oil change."

"Done."

Granted the lady in the story where I first heard about this did her negotiating up front and then purchased her tires and my husband was basically at the counter paying after the work was done when he remembered but it was still worth it in the end because he got a better value for his money.

When using this tactic, make sure to leave it as an open-ended question. Just say the seven words and nothing more. You want them to conjure up in their mind whatever it is that they are willing to offer you so do not suggest anything to them.

Seven little words. Use them. They work.
Ask and your wish just might be granted. But you will never know if you don't ask.

No comments: